Monday, January 28, 2013

SUNSHINE is Born

First, here are the links. Next, you get a story.

To buy Sunshine on Amazon for $.99, click HERE
To buy Sunshine on Smashwords, where you can set the price (so you can get it for free if you need to, or you can pay more than .99 if you feel so inclined) for this week only, click HERE
Barnes and Noble is still coming. : ) 

I’m going to be honest with you right now.
I’m freaking out.
I guess I’m entitled to a little bit of a freak out. Sure. Any sane person would be freaking out.
I just started a new semester at Stockton, I have no idea how I’m going to get all of this school work done,  and my book, SUNSHINE is available for anyone to read. Today.
Also, I don’t think I have ever been happier in my entire life.
Someone could tell me I won the lottery today and I would be like, “No. I don’t need you’re fucking lottery. DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT TODAY IS?”
Anyway,  some people have been asking me how long it took me to write this thing, and how I did it, etc. So, very, very shortly, I’m going to tell you. Right now.
  


I picked up a red notebook one day. I had a broken knee, I had no friends, I had nothing else to do. I had never written anything as long as a novel before, and my plan was just to write something that entertained me, something I would just keep for myself, and read whenever I was bored.
Then something happened.
My friend found my notebook and asked to read it, and because I love her and trsut her, I let her read it, expecting a gentle smile and a very-nicely worded, “Yeah, this kind of sucks.”
But that’s not what she said.

This is the green notebook. : )
Honestly, I can’t remember what she said, but it was something that lit a fire in me that hasn’t gone out since.
That one notebook got filled and suddenly, I had three red notebooks, whose covers ripped off. So then I had three messed up notebboks in a green binder. 

Then I typed it. And typed it. And typed it.

That was about eight years ago.
Then four years ago I met some wonderful people who helped me edit.
Then three years ago I queried. Then two years ago I queried. Then one  
year ago I queried.
And I got rejected, and strung along, and rejected.
Then about one year ago I met an amazing person who told me there was another way.
Jesus. That is a long time to have a story building inside of you.
If it weren’t for people wanting to read it, if no one cared, I would still be writing, because that’s what I have to do.  

But. If it weren’t for people liking my book in it’s roughest incarnations, 
if it weren’t for people adding SUNSHINE on facebook and goodreads before it even had a cover, if it weren’t for awesome bloggers and friends wanting to read it and review it before it came out, it would just be me and my notebook, which would be fine.

But these things did happen, and I’m so happy they did. Because, I want to share it. I want you to read it. I want my sisters to read it, I want my neighbor to read it. I want my 4th grade teacher to read it. I want my doctor to read it. I want a stranger that I have never met to read it. I just want it out there and for people to be able to read it. 

And that’s happening. Today. It’s going on right now. When I’m going to classes and driving to work and sleeping, it will be in the back of my mind that SUNSHINE, that the characters I’ve loved for such a long time are going to be out there for anyone to see, rip apart, love, or feel indifferent about.

And I’ve never been happier.

So, anyway. I guess this post is just about saying thank you for everything you’ve done, friend or stranger. Thank you for reading this post, thank you for whatever thing, big or small you have done. Just. Thanks.
If you would like to buy my book (GOD, HOW COOL DOES THAT SOUND?), check out the links above : )
Also, check out my other links in the side bar.
If you do read it and have a good reads account, I’d love it if you posted comments or reviews and things. I just want to hear what people are thinking about it. Also.
I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment